بودكاست التاريخ

قوس جالينوس - روما القديمة لايف

قوس جالينوس - روما القديمة لايف

>

يقع قوس جالينوس على تل إسكويلينو ، وهو في الواقع بوابة ثلاثية من أوغسطان تم التعاقد عليها كجزء من جدار سيرفيان. في القرن الثالث ، عندما شيد الإمبراطور جالينوس (حكم من 253 إلى 268 م) مجمعًا فيلات مترامية الأطراف ، كان القوس بمثابة اختصار لـ Terrance في ممتلكاته ، والذي تم تسليط الضوء عليه اليوم من خلال ما يسمى معبد Minvera Medica ، قاعة مقببة لتناول الطعام. اليوم ، كل ما تبقى هو القوس المركزي الوحيد الذي يحمل نقشًا لـ Gallienus. تم تدمير الآخرين من قبل المباني المسيحية ، بما في ذلك كنيسة S. Vito المجاورة. الطريق الذي يمر تحته هو طريق سان فيتو ، كليفوس سوبورانوس القديم.


جيولوجيا روما

تلعب جيولوجيا روما دورًا مهمًا للغاية في تاريخ روما وتطورها والحفاظ عليها. من الضروري فهم تركيبة المدينة ، ومواردها المائية ، وتأثيرها على التطور الحضري الروماني.

تتواجد Tuffs محليًا بسبب تكوينها من تدفقات الحمم البركانية البركانية منذ 600000-300000 سنة من الحقول البركانية Monti Sabatini ومن Castelli Romani ، على بعد حوالي 30 كم من روما.

قام الرومان أولاً باستخراج هذه التلال التي تشكل التلال السبعة الشهيرة.

مع امتداد القوة الرومانية ، سعوا للحصول على صفات أفضل. ومن المعروف أنهم استغلوا طوف "كهف أوسكورا" بعد أن دمروا فيي ، المدينة الأترورية الواقعة في أقصى الجنوب ، في عام 396 قبل الميلاد.

في القرن الثاني قبل الميلاد ، بدأت روما في استخدام الحجر الجيري ، وهو حجر جيري أبيض صلب من محاجر تيبور (تيفولي الحديثة). كان النقل فعالاً من حيث التكلفة ، حيث قاموا بتحميل المواد على قوارب في نهر Anio المحلي ، الذي كان أحد روافد نهر التيبر.

جاء الرخام لاحقًا ، من خلال غزو الأراضي اليونانية ومحاجرها الشهيرة. يعود تاريخ أول معبد رخامي إلى منتصف القرن الثاني قبل الميلاد. افتتح يوليوس قيصر محاجر رخام كارارا في توسكانا ، وجاء الطوفان الحقيقي للرخام الملون في عهد أغسطس خلال القرن الثاني الميلادي.

تلال روما السبعة: جولة جيولوجية في المدينة الخالدة ، Heiken، Funicello، de Rita (Princeton، 2005).


العامة في روما القديمة

كان العامة هم الطبقة العاملة في روما القديمة. كانوا يعيشون عادة في منازل سكنية مكونة من ثلاثة أو أربعة طوابق تسمى insulae. غالبًا ما كانت insulae مزدحمة حيث كان على عائلتين أن تتشاركا غرفة واحدة. لم تكن هناك حمامات في الشقق ، لذلك غالبًا ما كان يتم استخدام وعاء. سيتم إفراغ القدر من النافذة إلى الشوارع ، مما يخلق ظروفًا غير صحية للغاية ورائحة كريهة حول الشقق. تم بناء الشقق من الخشب وغالباً ما تكون سيئة البناء. لم يكن من المستغرب أن ينهار مبنى أو يشتعل فيه النيران. غالبًا ما كان العبيد في الأسر الأرستقراطية يعيشون في ظروف أفضل مما كان عليه الحال في الشقق العامة.

سيتبع الأطفال العامون في مسيرة والديهم. عادة ما يكون التعليم ، إن وجد ، لمدة عامين فقط حتى يتعلموا القراءة والكتابة والعمليات الحسابية الأساسية. لم يكن لدى الأطفال العوام عادة أسرة ، ولكن إذا فعلوا ذلك ، فغالبًا ما يضطرون إلى مشاركتها مع الآخرين في شقتهم. غالبًا ما لا تحتوي الشقق على مطابخ ، لذلك كانت العائلات تلتقط الطعام من المطاعم أو الحانات المحلية. تتكون وجبات هؤلاء الأشخاص من الخبز الخشن وحساء الفاصوليا أو البازلاء وبعض العصيدة. كان علاجًا إذا كان بإمكانهم تضمين دجاج أو أرنب مشوي مع وجباتهم مرة واحدة في الشهر (Williams 2003 ، صفحة 21).


Mussolini & # 8217s تراث معماري في روما

روما مدينة قديمة جدًا ، وفقًا لمعظم التقديرات ، يزيد عمرها عن 2800 عام. يمكنك التجول حرفيًا من القرن الثامن قبل الميلاد إلى القرن الحادي والعشرين في مسيرة يوم واحد.

تعتبر الأنماط المعمارية لروما أبدية مثل المدينة نفسها. تم بناء المدينة الكلاسيكية في الغالب بين القرن الأول قبل الميلاد والقرن الرابع الميلادي. تمتد المدينة المسيحية (البيزنطية والعصور الوسطى وعصر النهضة والباروك) من القرن الرابع إلى القرن الثامن عشر.

أراد بينيتو موسوليني البناء "لا تيرزا روما"، روما الثالثة ، ولادة جديدة لمدينة عظيمة وإمبراطورية إيطالية في العصر الحديث.

كان يبلغ من العمر 39 عامًا عندما أصبح رئيسًا لوزراء إيطاليا في عام 1922. ربما تكون رغبته في استعادة العظمة القديمة للإمبراطورية الرومانية قد بدأت كحلم اشتراكي مثالي بالمساواة ، لكنها سرعان ما تحولت إلى كابوس لإمبراطورية استبدادية استبدادية . أصبح موسوليني إيل دوتشي، مصطلح مشتق من العنوان الروماني القديم دوكس (زعيم).

في عام 1934 ، عند الانتهاء من عبر dei Fori Imperiali، وهو الطريق الذي شطر المنتديات الإمبراطورية القديمة للأباطرة الرومان ، قام موسوليني بتركيب 5 خرائط رخامية وبرونزية على الجدار الخارجي لكاتدرائية ماكسينتيوس في القرن الرابع الميلادي.

خرائط برونزية ورخامية لروما- كلية نيوجيرسي للبنات 1936

أربعة من الخرائط لا تزال هناك.

تميزت الخريطة الأولى بميلاد روما عام 760 قبل الميلاد.

أظهرت الخريطة الثانية روما أكبر بعد الحروب البونيقية عام 146 قبل الميلاد.

أظهرت الخريطة الثالثة إمبراطورية 14 بعد الميلاد الموسعة تحت حكم الإمبراطور أوغسطس.

زادت الخريطة الرابعة من روما إلى أبعد مدى للإمبراطورية تحت حكم الإمبراطور تراجان في القرن الثالث.

الخريطة الخامسة كانت رؤية موسوليني للإمبراطورية الرومانية الجديدة التي تضمنت ألبانيا وكرواتيا والبلقان وكورسيكا ونيس الفرنسية واليونان وشرق إفريقيا من تونس وليبيا ومصر عبر السودان إلى إثيوبيا والصومال.

لقد غزا ليبيا بالكامل في عام 1934 (على الرغم من أن الغزو الإيطالي للمنطقة بدأ في عام 1911) ، وإثيوبيا (1936) وألبانيا (1939) ، لكن البقية لم تحدث أبدًا.

تضررت الخريطة الخامسة بعد الحرب واختفت لفترة. تم إعادة اكتشافه في أوائل العقد الأول من القرن الحالي وتم تخزينه منذ ذلك الحين.

انتهى عهد موسوليني في 28 أبريل 1945 عندما تم القبض عليه هو وعشيقته ، كلارا بيتاتشي ، على يد أنصار شيوعيين على ضفاف بحيرة كومو. في 29 أبريل ، في اليوم التالي ، تم تعليق جثثهم من العوارض الخشبية لمحطة وقود في ميلانو في ساحة لوريتو. كان عمره 61 سنة. في 30 أبريل ، انتحر أدولف هتلر. كانت الحرب العالمية الثانية على وشك الانتهاء.

خلال 21 عامًا في السلطة ، غير بينيتو موسوليني وجه روما إلى الأبد ، على الرغم من أنه دمر مئات المباني وشرد الآلاف من الناس للقيام بذلك.

العمارة المنطقية

بينما تردد صدى فاشية موسوليني من خلال مسيرات ضخ الدم ، والاستعراضات العسكرية ، وأفلام الدعاية والصحف الفاشية الموالية ، تم بناء روما الجديدة مع 4 حارات واسعة وعمارة دعائية أنشأتها إيطاليا حركة العمارة العقلانية.

احتضن العقلانيون المباني العصرية البسيطة المصنوعة من الخرسانة والصلب والزجاج ، لكنهم احتفظوا أيضًا بإحترام للخطوط الكلاسيكية القديمة ذات الأعمدة المنمقة والأقواس والأروقة والقباب والأقواس.

نحت Boccioni على عملة يورو 20 سنت

نشأت العقلانية من الحركة المستقبلية الإيطالية 1909-1914 ، وهي حركة فنية انتهت باندلاع الحرب العالمية الأولى.

تم الاحتفال بأحد قادة المستقبليين ، أومبرتو بوتشيوني ، على الجانب الآخر من العملة الإيطالية الصادرة بقيمة 20 سنت يورو مع صورة تحفته الفنية "أشكال فريدة من الاستمرارية في الفضاء" عام 1913.

العمارة الإيطالية المستقبلية لم تنجح أبدًا في الخروج من الصفحة.

ولد المهندس المعماري الأكثر شهرة في الحركة ، أنطونيو سانت إيليا ، على ضفاف بحيرة كومو في عام 1888 وتوفي في عام 1916 على طول جبهة إيسونزو في الحرب العالمية الأولى. مات العديد من المستقبليين في الحرب. كانت الوطنية والعنف جزءًا من بيان المستقبلي.

New City & # 8211 Antonio Sant & # 8217Elia 1912-1914

على الرغم من أن حياته المهنية بالكاد امتدت 9 سنوات ، فقد أثر خيال سانت إيليا وتصميماته على الأشخاص من فريتز لانج & # 8217s متروبوليس إلى فنادق جون بورتمان إلى Ridley Scott & # 8217s بليد عداء لهيلموت جان مركز ولاية إلينوي في شيكاغو.

في عام 1931 ، كلف الحزب الفاشي الأخوين Terragni (Guiseppe و Attilio) بإنشاء نصب تذكاري للجنود الإيطاليين الذين سقطوا في الحرب العالمية الأولى. كان جزء من إمبراطورية موسوليني الجديدة هو تغيير حزن الخسائر الإيطالية في الحرب العالمية الأولى إلى بطولية الخشوع والمثالية العسكرية للرومان القدماء.

Monumento ai Caduti-Sant & # 8217Elia original ، هيكل Terragni

أعاد الأخوان تيراغني تصور إحدى رسومات سانت إيليا وخلقوا تكريمًا بارتفاع 30 مترًا على طول الواجهة البحرية لكومو.

النصب التذكاري للقتلى (Monumento ai Caduti) يكرم 650 جنديًا شجعانًا ماتوا في معارك جبهة إيسونزو.

تقول نقوش الواجهة المواجهة لبحيرة كومو:

Stanotte si dorme a Trieste o in Paradiso con gli eroi

تنام الليلة في ترييستي أو في الجنة مع الأبطال.

رمز الأساور

لشعاره الأيقوني للسلطة ، تبنى موسوليني الروماني القديم فاسيس، حزمة من قضبان رفيعة مرتبطة ببعضها البعض حول رأس فأس.

يمكن قطع قضيب واحد بسهولة إلى قسمين ، لكن حزمة من القضبان كانت غير قابلة للكسر. يمثل رأس الفأس المدفون في الوسط السلطة القضائية للقضاة الذين يحملهم حراسهم الشخصيون المعروفون باسم Lictors.

كلمة فاشية مشتقة من الأسوار الرومانية. أصبحت العمارة العقلانية في إيطاليا خلال الفترة الفاشية تُعرف باسم Stile Littorio (Stile of the Lictor).

لم يكن تغيير الغرض من الرموز القديمة شيئًا جديدًا. كان الصليب المعقوف عمره أكثر من 5000 عام قبل أن يتم الاستيلاء عليه من قبل حزب هتلر النازي. على الرغم من حظر الرمز في ألمانيا والعديد من الأجزاء الأخرى من العالم الغربي ، إلا أنه لا يزال يستخدم كرمز مقدس لحسن الحظ للهندوس والجاينيين والبوذيين.

تم حظر "الأسوار" في إيطاليا بعد الحرب ولكن لا يزال هناك عدد غير قليل منهم. إيطاليا أكثر استعدادًا للتسامح والنسيان.

لم يتم استخدام رمز "فاسيس" في إيطاليا فقط.

إذا كنت تعيش في الولايات المتحدة ، فسترى ذلك في أماكن قليلة. اعتاد أن يكون النقش على جانب ذيول Mercury Dime حتى تم استبداله بـ Franklin D Roosevelt dime في عام 1946.

لا يزال رمز fasces يزين ذراعي كرسي Lincoln & # 8217s في نصب Lincoln Memorial في واشنطن العاصمة .. إنه & # 8217s على شعار فرسان كولومبوس. تم تضمينه & # 8217s في تمثال جورج واشنطن أمام النصب التذكاري الوطني للقاعة الفيدرالية لمدينة نيويورك & # 8217s. كما أنه يحيط بالعلم الأمريكي خلف منصة المتحدث & # 8217s في غرفة مجلس النواب الأمريكي (كما هو موضح في الصورة أدناه).

العلم الأمريكي يحيط به فاسيس في مجلس النواب الأمريكي

إنها ذروة السخرية أن نرى سياسيًا أمريكيًا يشير إلى عضو آخر في مجلس النواب على أنه فاشي أثناء وقوفه أمام الرمز الفاشي.

كان الخط الحديدي هو جوهر نظام الدفاع الموسوليني و # 8217S

إذا وصلت إلى روما بالقطار ، فمن المرجح أن تصل إلى محطة قطار تيرميني (Stazione di Roma Termini).

على الرغم من اكتمال المبنى الحالي في عام 1950 من قبل Annibale Vitellozzi ، إلا أن التصميم الأصلي من قبل Angiolo Mazzoni بدأ في عام 1936.

كان من المفترض أن يكتمل في عام 1942 في Esposizione Universale Roma (EUR) لكن المعرض العالمي لم يحدث أبدًا. تم التخلي عن المشروع في عام 1943.

لا تزال هناك أجزاء مرئية من مبنى ماتسوني. إذا كنت تواجه واجهة المبنى ، فانتقل إلى اليمين ، على طول طريق Via Giovanni Giolitti. هذا كله أصلي.

نموذج لتصميم Mazzoni الأصلي لمحطة Termini

أنجيولو ماتسوني و روبرتو ناردوتشي كانوا مهندسين معماريين في الفترة الفاشية ، وكانوا معروفين في الغالب بمحطات القطار الخاصة بهم. قاموا بتصميم وبناء ما يقرب من 50 محطة قطار في إيطاليا في الثلاثينيات.

حصل Roberto Narducci على التصميم الجديد محطة قطار أوستينسي بالقرب من Porta San Paolo و Pyramid of Cestius.

تم تصميم وبناء محطة Ostiense للترحيب بأدولف هتلر في روما في 3 مايو 1938. ولم تفتح المحطة رسميًا حتى 28 أكتوبر 1940.

تضمنت Narducci نقوشًا أسطورية على الواجهة ، وأرضيات من البلاط الأسود والأبيض في المحطة وإشارة حديثة إلى الأعمدة الرومانية القديمة في التصميم.

تم تسمية الطريق من Piazza dei Partigiani على طول جانب المحطة إلى Porta San Paolo Via Adolfo Hitler ، ولكن بعد الحرب ، تم تغيير اسمها إلى Viale delle Cave Ardeatine ، وهو تذكير محزن بالمذبحة النازية التي راح ضحيتها 335 من الأبرياء الإيطاليين في محاجر كهوف أردياتين على بعد 9 كيلومترات جنوب محطة القطار.

يعود الفضل إلى موسوليني في إعادة تنشيط نظام السكك الحديدية ، لكن لم يكن الأمر برمته في الحقيقة.

في عام 1936 ، كتب المراسل الحربي والصحفي الأمريكي ، جورج سيلدس ، الذي أشار إلى موسوليني باسم نشارة القيصر ، أنه كان صحيحًا أن القطارات السريعة الأكبر المليئة بالصحفيين شهود العيان تعمل في الوقت المحدد ولكن الخطوط الأصغر مع عدم وجود مراسلين. ركضت على قضبان معيبة وأرضية طرق سيئة تسبب باستمرار في التأخير.

بعد الحرب العالمية الثانية ، نَفَى ماتزوني ، الذي كان يشعر بأسف شديد لمشاركته في القضية الفاشية ، في منفى فرضه على نفسه في بوجوتا ، كولومبيا. مكث هناك حتى وفاته عام 1963.

توفي ناردوتشي في روما عام 1979 ، عن عمر يناهز 91 عامًا.

أزال موسوليني الأحياء الفقيرة وحرر الآثار القديمة

صُممت شوارع موسوليني الكبرى لفتح المدينة وإبراز البهاء والدعاية للجيش الفاشي ، وهو نوع من موكب النصر الحديث.

بني في عام 1932 ، و عبر dei Fori Imperiali هي أشهر طرق العرض ، حيث تربط قصره في ساحة فينيسيا الحديثة بالمدرج القديم. من أجل تحقيق كل هذا ، قطع رقعة من خلال المنتديات الإمبراطورية القديمة للأباطرة يوليوس قيصر وأغسطس وتراجان ونيفا وفيسباتيان. كما هدم المباني السكنية وكنائس العصور الوسطى وشرد آلاف الأشخاص.

ال عبر دي تريونفي، المعروف الآن باسم Via di San Gregorio ، ربط قوس قسطنطين بسيرك ماكسيموس. تم اقتراح ربط الآثار القديمة بمعرض موسوليني & # 8217s 1942 ، EUR.

ساحة القديس بطرس # 8217s قبل شارع Via della Conciliazione

من أجل مواءمة الحكومة الفاشية مع الفاتيكان ، في عام 1936 ، قام ببناء عبر ديلا كونسيلازيون، مسار تحديث آخر واستعراض كبير يربط بين موسوليني وروما بالفاتيكان الكاثوليك.

ال كونسيليازيون هل تصالح بين الحكومة الفاشية والفاتيكان. لم يتم الانتهاء من البناء على الطريق حتى عام 1950 ، أي بعد خمس سنوات من وفاة موسوليني والفاشية.

حظي تصميم جيانلورنزو بيرنيني الكبير لساحة القديس بطرس باحتضان كبير للكنيسة والساحة التي كشفت عن عظمتها بعد عبورها شوارع بورجو المظلمة والضيقة التي تعود للقرون الوسطى. غيّر Via della Conciliazione تصميمه إلى الأبد.

ربط Via Ostiense / Via del Mare بورتا سان باولو بميناء أوستيا البحري القديم. حفر علماء الآثار في موسوليني الكثير من الميناء البحري القديم بين عامي 1938 و 1941 ، على أمل تجهيز الموقع القديم ل 1942 إسبوزيزوني يونيفرسالي روما (EUR) الفاشلة. تمت إزالة أكثر من 600000 متر مكعب من الأرض (حتى عمق 12 مترًا) للكشف عن مستوى الشارع القديم.

تم إنشاء طرق أخرى. تم تجفيف المستنقعات وتم بناء مدن جديدة للتعامل مع جميع النازحين.

مع وجود طرق أكبر في مكانها وتدمير معظم الأحياء الفقيرة ، قام موسوليني ، جنبًا إلى جنب مع مهندسه الرئيسي مارسيلو بياسينتيني ومخطط مدينته ، أنطونيو مونوز ، بتحرير الآثار القديمة من قرون من الإهمال ودمجها في خطة مدينة حديثة جديدة .

قام بتجريف الأزقة المزدحمة بالقرب من Campo dei Fiori لفضح معابد Largo Argentina ، الموقع القديم لمسرح بومبي. قام بإزالة المباني التي كانت مزدحمة بالبانثيون وأعمدة تراجان وماركوس أوريليوس.

من أجل الكشف عن الموقع القديم لسيرك ماكسيموس ، قام بنقل مصنع للغاز ، وهدم مصنعًا للمعكرونة ، وحفر مقبرة يهودية عمرها 300 عام ، ودمر قرية باراشا (أكواخ فقيرة فقيرة) وحفر أكثر من 18 قدمًا من التراب. والحطام. بحلول عام 1934 ، كان مضمار السباق الروماني القديم ميدانًا مفتوحًا يستخدم في التجمعات الفاشية والمعارض.

قام بإزالة المزيد من منازل الأحياء الفقيرة من بورتا أوكتافيا وتياترو مارسيلو (الآن الغيتو اليهودي المهذب) ، ودمر البقايا الأخيرة لسوق السمك في روما في العصور الوسطى.

كما هو الحال مع جميع مشاريع البناء ، فإن الدوتشي نفسه سيوجه أول ضربة للهدم. لم يفوت أبدًا أي فرصة للتأرجح بفأس أو رفع أكمام قميصه أو خلع ملابسه حتى الخصر لإظهار لياقته البدنية المنحوتة للحصول على فرصة لالتقاط الصور.

أصبحت المنتديات القديمة وقوس قسنطينة طريقًا للعرض ، واستخدمت أسواق تراجان للمعارض التجارية والمعارض الصغيرة ، وأقيمت الحفلات الموسيقية في بازيليك ماكسينتيوس ، ونظمت التجمعات في الكولوسيوم وأقيمت التجمعات الكبيرة والمعارض الفاشية في سيرك مكسيموس.

كانت أكبر ثلاثة مشاريع تجديد حضري لخطة مدينة موسوليني الجديدة هي ساحة أوغوستو إمبيريتور حول ضريح أوغسطس ، فورو موسولينيوهو مركز حديث للرياضة واللياقة البدنية والحكومة Esposizione Universale Roma (EUR)، المعرض لعالم موسوليني الجديد في روما.

إمبريتيور بيازا أوغوستو

في هذه الأيام ، فإن ساحة أوغوستو إمبيريتور معروف ب متحف آرا باسيس، مبنى ريتشارد ماير المثير للجدل لعام 2006 الذي يضم مذبح السلام 9 قبل الميلاد الذي تم بناؤه بعد عودة الإمبراطور أوغسطس إلى روما منتصرًا في حربي إسبانيا (إسبانيا) والغال (فرنسا).

كان متحف Richard Meier Ara Pacis هو أول مبنى جديد في المنطقة التاريخية القديمة في روما منذ أكثر من 60 عامًا.

ساحة أوغوستو إمبراتور & # 8211 1938

في عام 1937 ، وضع موسوليني خططًا للاحتفال بالذكرى السنوية الثانية عشرة (2000) لميلاد الإمبراطور أوغسطس. سوف يكرم الاحتفال المجد القديم لأغسطس والمجد الجديد لموسوليني والفاشيين.
ستهدم الخطة الكثير من الحي القديم المحيط بالمدينة ضريح أغسطس وأعد بناء ساحة جديدة تربط متحفًا جديدًا تم بناؤه لمذبح آرا باسيس بضريح أغسطس الذي تم ترميمه. تصور موسوليني الضريح كمكان راحته الأخير.

في الطرف الآخر من الميدان ، سيكون مبنى Istituto Nazionale della Previdenza Sociale الذي تم تشييده حديثًا (مقر الضمان الاجتماعي).

كان الرجل المسؤول فيتوريو باليو موربورغو، مهندس معماري يهودي من روما. كان لديه عام واحد فقط لإكمال المشروع قبل احتفال ثنائي الألفية. ولد أغسطس عام 63 قبل الميلاد. كانت الذكرى السنوية الفعلية في عام 1938.

متحف Morpurgo Ara Pacis قبل هدمه عام 2000

من أجل استكمال المشروع في الوقت المحدد ، ابتكر Morpurgo قشرة خرسانية مطلية لتبدو مثل رخام الترافرتين بنوافذ كبيرة لعرض المذبح القديم الذي أعيد بناؤه. تم نقل قطع مذبح السلام القديم من موقعها الأصلي بالقرب من Palazzo Montecitorio ، على بعد حوالي 850 مترًا ، إلى الموقع الجديد.

بعد سنوات من الإهمال والإغلاق ، تم هدم متحف موربورغو في عام 2000. تم التقاط هذه الصورة قبل الهدم مباشرة.

تم منح فيتوريو باليو موربورغو مزيدًا من الوقت لـ Istituto Nazionale della Previdenza Sociale ، الذي اكتمل في عام 1941. إنه مثال جيد للهندسة المعمارية الفاشية المعروفة باسم & # 8216 Stile Littorio & # 8217. أشار موسوليني إلى الفاشيين باسم Littori على اسم Lictors الرومان القدماء الذين نفذوا الفوضى ونفذوا القرارات القضائية للإداريين.

على وجه المبنى يوجد انتصاران رومانيان طائران يحملان Fasces (قضبان مرتبطة ببعضها البعض).

تم تشويه اسم موسوليني & # 8217s بعد الحرب. & # 8217s في السطر الرابع لأسفل على الجانب الأيسر. كانت إيطاليا ما بعد الحرب حريصة على إزالة أو تشويه كل الإشارات إلى الدوتشي. مر العام وساد تقديس العمارة على عار سنوات الحرب. المبنى جزء من التراث الروماني. تم ترميم الاسم والواجهة.

HUNC LOCUM UBI AUGUSTI MANES VOLITANT PER AURAS
خزف الغشاء اللاحق بعد الظهر
EST EXTRACTUM ARAEQUE PACIS DISIECTA MEMBRA REFECTA
MUSSOLINI DUX VETERIBUS ANGUSTIIS DELETIS SPLENDIDIORIBUS
VIIS AEDIFICIIS AEDIBUS AD HUMANITATIS MORES APTIS
قاعة ORNANDUM ANNO MDCCCCXL A F. R. XVIII

هذا هو المكان الذي تطير فيه روح أوغسطس عبر النسيم بعد انتزاع ضريح الإمبراطور من ظلام العصور وترميم القطع المتناثرة من مذبح السلام. أمر الزعيم موسوليني بتدمير الأماكن القديمة الضيقة وتزيين الموقع بالشوارع والمباني والأضرحة الملائمة لأساليب الإنسانية في عام 1940 ، في العام الثامن عشر من العصر الفاشي.

تم إنشاء لوحات الفسيفساء الخزفية المزججة فوق الإفريز من قبل الفنان الروماني ، فيروتشيو فيراتزي.

يُظهر الخزف المركزي "ولادة روما" مع شخصية شابة قوية (تمثل نهر التيبر) تقف في نهر تحمل الطفلين ، رومولوس وريموس. تحت الرقم هي الذئب.

على جانبي "ولادة روما" توجد 6 شخصيات تمثل سمات الأشخاص الذين جعلوا روما إمبراطورية عظيمة.

على الرغم من هدم ساحة Piazza Augusto Imperitore القديمة ، إلا أن كنيسة سان جيرولامو دي كرواتيا (الكنيسة الكاثوليكية الوطنية لكرواتيا في روما) تم إنقاذها.

نقل موسوليني معظم أبناء الرعية من الميدان عندما هدم مبانيهم. من أجل استرضاء الفاتيكان ، وافق على بناء دير للكنيسة كجزء من إعادة التصميم الكبرى.

ال Collegio degli Illirici لا يزال الدير موجودًا ولديه بعض الأمثلة الممتازة لفن الدعاية الفاشية. Illirici هم الناس من Illyria ، أحد الأسماء القديمة لكرواتيا وموقع شكسبير & # 8217s الثانية عشرة ليلة.

تم تجديد FORO MUSSOLINI FORO ITALICO

بحلول عام 1926 ، كان موسوليني يتمتع بأعلى شهرته. كان مفهومه عن Foro Mussolini عبارة عن نسخة حديثة من منتدى على الطراز الروماني أو agora ، يعرض النظام الفاشي من خلال قوة التدريب البدني والرياضة والحكومة ورخام Carrara.

من أجل تصميم وبناء المنتدى اختار 35 عامًا إنريكو ديل ديبيو ويبلغ من العمر 30 عامًا لويجي موريتي. كان هدفهم العام هو خلق توازن متناغم بين الطبيعة الإلهية لحدائق فارنيسينا من القرن السادس عشر للبابا بول الثالث مع قوة موسوليني والعمارة الحديثة.

تم افتتاح المنتدى عام 1936 بالتزامن مع انتصار إيطاليا على إثيوبيا. يُظهر هذا الفيلم ، الذي ابتكرته شركة الأفلام الدعائية التابعة لموسوليني ، استعداد المنتدى للافتتاح. https://www.youtube.com/watch؟v=dISfQWO3bb0

في عام 1938 ، أقام موسوليني عرضًا رائعًا في Foro للترحيب بأدولف هتلر والذي تضمن الشعلة الشبابية الفاشية التي تشكل صليبًا معقوفًا ضخمًا. أعجب هتلر.

كان موسوليني ينوي أن يستضيف المنتدى دورة الألعاب الأولمبية الصيفية لعام 1944 ولكن تم منح الألعاب إلى لندن. في الواقع ، لم تحدث ألعاب عام 1944 أبدًا. تم تأجيلها حتى عام 1948.

تصميم Del Debbio الأصلي و Accademia Della Farnesina اليوم

أكمل Del Debbio ملف أكاديميا ديلا فارنيسينا (الأكاديمية الفاشية للتربية البدنية) في عام 1928. لا يزال المبنى مطليًا باللون الأحمر البومبياني للتصميم الأصلي. يعمل حاليًا كمقر أولمبي إيطالي.

شجع Duce الذي يتمتع بلياقة بدنية بفخر اللياقة البدنية في جميع أنحاء المملكة الفاشية. تضمنت Academia della Farnesina مسبحًا داخليًا وصالة ألعاب رياضية شخصية لموسوليني (باليسترا ديل كابو ديل جوفيرنو) من تصميم لويجي موريتي.
أصبحت الأكاديمية في النهاية مدرسة تدريب لمنظمة الشباب الفاشي ، و أوبرا ناسيونالي باليلا.

كان Balilla هو الاسم المستعار لصبي من Genovese يدعى Giovane Battista Perasso ، الذي ألقى حجرًا على بعض الجنود النمساويين وبدأ ثورة إيطالية ضد Hapsburgs النمساوية في عام 1746. أدرك موسوليني أن مستقبل الإمبراطورية الجديدة كان في أيدي الشباب المجيد.

أكمل Del Debbio ملف Stadio dei Cipressi في عام 1934 بسعة 50،000.

بعد الحرب Stadio dei Cipressi أعيد بناؤها باسم Stadio Centomila، التي سميت بسعة 100000 مقعد ، على الرغم من أن المقاعد قد تم تخفيضها إلى 65000 في دورة الألعاب الأولمبية لعام 1960 حيث فاز ويلما رودولف بثلاث ميداليات ذهبية وفاز رافر جونسون في Decathlon.

أصبح الاستاد الأولمبي في عام 1974. في عام 1990 مرت بإصلاح شامل. كان Annibale Vitellozzi أحد المهندسين المعماريين لتصميم عام 1990 ، وهو واحد من آخر ما تبقى من المهندسين المعماريين العقلانيين. عمل في الاستاد في الخمسينيات لتجهيزه لدورة الألعاب الأولمبية لعام 1960. توفي Vitellozzi في عام 1990. وكان Stadio Olimpico آخر مشاريعه.

تم تحديث الملعب الأولمبي مرة أخرى في عام 2008. وهو حاليًا ملعب أندية روما ولازيو لكرة القدم بسعة 70261 مقعدًا.

ديل ديبيو Stadio dei Marmi (ملعب الرخام) اكتمل في عام 1928. ملعب المضمار والميدان الذي يبلغ عدد مقاعده 5200 مقعد محاط بتماثيل رخامية بالحجم الطبيعي للرياضيين في الوضع الكلاسيكي.

كان التصميم الأصلي يحتوي على 64 تمثالًا. افتتح الملعب بـ 60 منهم. الآن هناك 59. لا أحد يعرف ما حدث لل 60. لا يزال ملعب التماثيل الرخامية يستخدم في سباقات المضمار والميدان وكذلك مباريات الرجبي ومسابقات الفروسية. لا تزال قطعة معمارية قوية.

التنس في Foro Italico

تم تكرار حلقة التمثال الرخامي الأيقوني من Del Debbio في كامبو دي تنس (1933-4) بواسطة كوستانتينو كوستانيني. كانت موطن بطولة إيطاليا المفتوحة للتنس منذ عام 1935.

كان أكبر مشروع ديل ديبيو للمنتدى هو Palazzo della Farnesina. كان اسمه في الأصل بالازو ليتوريو (قصر Lictors) للكتاتور الرومان القدماء ، والحراس الشخصيين للقضاة والإداريين الإمبراطوريين الذين حملوا الفوضى ، وحرسوا المكاتب الإمبراطورية ونفذوا العدالة القضائية التي أقرها المسؤولون.

تم تعيين قصر Palazzo ليكون المقر الرئيسي للحزب الفاشي ، في عام 1935 ولكن تم إيقاف العمل في عام 1943 عندما تمت إزالة موسوليني من السلطة.

كان (ولا يزال) أحد أكبر المباني في كل إيطاليا. تم بناؤه حول فناء مركزي ، يبلغ طوله 169 مترًا ، وارتفاعه 51 مترًا ، وعمقه 132 مترًا. لديها 6.5 كيلومتر من الممرات وأكثر من 1300 غرفة.

كان المشروع كبيرًا جدًا لدرجة أن تصميمه استغرق من Del Debbio و Vittorio Ballio Morpurgo و Arnaldo Foschini و Luigi Moretti وآخرين. استؤنف البناء ، جنبًا إلى جنب مع المهندسين المعماريين الرئيسيين في عام 1948 واكتمل في عام 1959. وهو حاليًا وزارة خارجية الجمهورية الايطالية. القصر المكتمل قريب جدا من التصميم الأصلي. بصرف النظر عن العمارة العقلانية للمبنى ، يضم Palazzo أيضًا واحدة من أفضل مجموعات الفن الإيطالي في القرن العشرين ، كل شيء من الفن الحديث إلى المستقبل ، التجريدي ، Arte Povera والطليعي.

في عام 1955 ، مُنحت روما دورة الألعاب الأولمبية الصيفية لعام 1960. دعت الحكومة الإيطالية الجديدة المهندسين المعماريين العقلانيين لإنهاء مبانيهم في Foro Italico التي أعيدت تسميتها الآن.

أكمل Del Debbio ملف Stadio del Nuoto، المسبح الأولمبي في عام 1959. لم يعمل كثيرًا بعد دورة الألعاب الأولمبية لعام 1960 وتوفي في روما عام 1973.

لويجي موريتي صمم بيازال ديل إمبيرو، المدخل الكبير للمنتدى ، وهو عبارة عن فسيفساء مغطاة بساحة كبيرة تربط نافورة كروية من رخام كرارا البالغ وزنها 42 طنًا (Fontana della Sfera) بمسلة MUSSOLINI DUX التي يبلغ ارتفاعها 55 بوصة.

يتم دعم المسلة الطويلة مقاس 55 بوصة (بواسطة Costantino Costantini) على قاعدة تضاعف حجم النصب التذكاري إلى ما يقرب من 120 بوصة.

إنها أكبر قطعة رخام تم استخراجها من كارارا على الإطلاق. ترددت شائعات عن أن البرج العلوي مصنوع من الذهب الخالص ، وفي الخامس والعشرين من يوليو عام 1943 ، أثناء سقوط النظام الفاشي ، اقتحم الناس المسلة بسلالم عالية فقط ليكتشفوا أنها كانت مجرد طلاء ذهبي.

بعد الحرب ، تم حظر جميع الإشارات العامة إلى Il Duce ولكن إزالة أحرف المسلة كان من شأنه أن يضر القطعة بشكل كبير. من خلال نوع من الحنين إلى الماضي أو التفكير المعماري ، تم حفظ مسلة موسوليني ، على الرغم من أنها ظلت موضوعًا مؤلمًا.

كانت ساحة Piazzale ذات يوم موقعًا لتجمعات الفاشية لضخ الدم. إنه محيط حقيقي من الدعاية الفسيفسائية. إذا كنت تقضي الوقت ، يمكنك إحصاء 248 تكرارًا للكلمات IL DUCE أو التجول في الشخصيات الكلاسيكية التي تعيد إنشاء الأعمال الأسطورية إلى الأعمال البطولية الحديثة لأقوال ورموز الدعاية الفاشية الذكية ، وكلها مصممة بشكل مبهج من الحجر الأسود والأبيض. تتراوح شعارات الفسيفساء من أعداء كثيرون ، شرف كبير، إلى Duce ، نكرس شبابنا لك، إلى أفضل ليوم واحد كأسد من 100 عام كالخروف.

قام أكثر من 200 فنان فسيفساء من Spilimbergo في فريولي بإنشاء أكثر من 10000 متر مربع. لا تزال مدرسة Mosaic School of Spilimbergo ، التي تم إنشاؤها في عام 1922 ، واحدة من أفضل مدارس الفسيفساء في البلاد.

تم تدمير صور الفسيفساء وتركت لتتحلل على مر السنين. لا يزال Foro Italico المجمع الرياضي الرئيسي في روما. نعم ، إنه أمر محرج بعض الشيء أن أحيي جميع المشاهدين الأجانب ببضعة فدادين من دعاية موسوليني ، لكن لا توجد حاليًا خطط قائمة لاستعادة المنتدى أو استبداله.

في السنوات الأخيرة ، اقترحت مدينة مقيدة للنقد بيع Foro Italico لمستثمرين من القطاع الخاص. اندلعت الاحتجاجات من جميع أنحاء إيطاليا. قد يكون إرث موسوليني مثيرًا للجدل لكنه ينتمي إلى إيطاليا ويريد الإيطاليون الاحتفاظ به على هذا النحو.

موريتي & # 8217s 1936 أكاديميا دي شيرما أو كاسا ديل أرمي كانت مدرسة المبارزة. كانت لعبة Swordplay لا تزال تحظى بشعبية في الثلاثينيات.

في عام 1981 ، استولى الذراع القضائي الإيطالي للحكومة على Casa delle Armi الذي حوله إلى مركز شرطة مؤقت وسجن لأعضاء اللواء الأحمر ، الذين اشتهروا باختطاف وقتل رئيس الوزراء ، ألدو مورو في عام 1978.

المبنى حاليًا في حالة حزينة من التدهور. ومنذ ذلك الحين تم تسليمه للجنة الأولمبية الإيطالية CONI. نأمل أن يستعيدوها.

بسخرية، لويجي موريتي ارتبط معماريا بانهيارات كل من بينيتو موسوليني وريتشارد نيكسون.

صمم لويجي موريتي أيضًا مجمع ووترجيت حيث اقتحمت لجنة إعادة انتخاب ريتشارد نيكسون المقر الوطني الديمقراطي في مجمع ووترغيت. توفي عام 1973 ، بعد عام من اقتحام ووترغيت.

Espozione Universale Roma، EUR، E42

عادة ما يأخذك الطريق من مطار فيوميتشينو في روما إلى وسط المدينة EUR (Esposizione Universale Roma)، موقع المعرض العالمي لعام 1942 الذي اقترحه موسوليني على بعد حوالي 8 كيلومترات جنوب وسط روما. كانت هذه دعوته للعالم لتجربة جولة شخصية عن قرب لإمبراطوريته الجديدة. تم تخصيص مساحة 1.5 ميل مربع كأرض المعارض ، لكن المعرض شمل كل من روما ومحطات القطار والشوارع الواسعة والآثار القديمة التي تم ترميمها وفورو موسوليني وساحة أوجوستو إمبيريتور وأوستيا أنتيكا التي تم ترميمها حديثًا وغيرها. مواقع في جميع أنحاء المدينة. كان يلقب EUR E42. لا يزال الاختصار مرئيًا على أغطية الصرف والمرافق.

أشهر مباني EUR هو رخام الترافرتين Palazzo della Civiltà إيطالي (1938-1943) ، والمعروف أكثر باسم كولوسيو كوادراتو (ساحة المدرج) وأقل شهرة باسم Il Palazzo del Groviera (قصر الجبن السويسري).

سائقي سيارات الأجرة سوف يشيرون إليه ويخبروك أنه رمز لفاشية موسوليني. من المرجح أن تغمر أفكار المعاناة الإنسانية والاستنكار خيالك ، ولكن إذا نظرت إلى ما بعد الاتصال بموسوليني ، فسترى مبنى رائعًا ، إشارة كلاسيكية جديدة إلى الكولوسيوم القديم في تصميم أنيق مستقبلي وسريالي يبدو وكأنه قفز من قماش لوحة جورجيو دي شيريكو.

The architect in charge of the EUR fair was Marcello Piacentini, Mussolini’s High Commissioner of Urban Renewal. He kept a close hand on everything that went into EUR but he gave the Palazzo della Civiltà Italiana to three relatively unknown young architects named Giovanni Guerrini and Ernesto Lapadula and Mario Romano. The building was started in 1938 and finished in 1943.

There is a lot of symbolism going on here. The obvious one is the futuristic take on the ancient Coliseum. The not so obvious is in the pattern of the arches. The 6 horizontal arches represent the 6 letters of the name Benito. The 9 vertical arches represent the name Mussolini.

Over the entrance of each side is the inscription of dedication to the Italian people poets, artists, heroes, saints, thinkers, scientists, navigators and transmigrators.

The base of the building is decorated with 11’ tall ancient Roman style statues representing the virtues of the Italian people.

At the corners of the building base are 4 stylized versions of the Dioscuri, Castor and Pollux, the sons of Zeus and Leda the swan and the brothers of Helen of Troy. The Dioscuri were given credit for the victory of the Battle of Lake Regillus in 495 BC, where the Roman rebels defeated the allied forces of King Tarquinius Superbus (Tarquin the Proud) and officially began the Roman Republic.

The Dioscuri have been watching over Rome for over 2,000 years.

After 72 years of neglect and decay, the Palazzo della Civiltà Italiana / Colosseo Quadrato has been restored and refitted as the new world Headquarters for the Fendi fashion house. There will even be a 1200 square meter exhibition space of the 1st floor.

Karl Lagerfeld, who’s been with Fendi for 50 years, says when he is in the building he feels like he’s being transported into the future, which is kind of ironic since the building was constructed around the same time he was born.

1942 would have been the 20th anniversary of the Fascists coming to power and Mussolini wanted to show the world what he had accomplished. However, Italy’s declaration of war on Britain and France in 1942 killed all international interest in the Fair. By 1943, Mussolini was on the run.

The concept of EUR, a new city for modern times, was the brainchild of architect Marcello Piancentini, the son of the Italian Architect, Pio Piacentini (Palazzo delle Esposizioni in Rome) and considered by many as the chief architect of the Fascist Regime.

Piancentini awarded the entrance to the Fair to Adalberto Libera’s monumental 300m wide x 200m tall Arch.

Although the Monumental Arch was never built in EUR, the concept did eventually come to life in 1965 when Eero Saarinen designed his now iconic 192m x 192m St Louis Arch.

Adalberto Libera died in 1963. He never got to see the Saarinen arch.

Libera also designed the Palazzo dei Ricevimenti e dei Congressi (Convention Center), a project that began in 1938 but abandoned in 1943.

The Palazzo was completed in 1956 and used for the fencing competition of the 1960 Olympics.

The classical nod here is to the Ancient Pantheon in Rome.

The unfinished Palazzo served as an encampment for German troops in 1943 and an encampment for British troops in 1945.

After the war it was used as a refuge shelter for displaced Romans, homeless from the bombings on the city.

In 1977, three bombs exploded in the Palazzo in a fear tactic against the Convention/Congress of the Italian Socialist Party. The renovation that followed created a roof garden. It is still used for Political Conventions, Trade Shows and Corporate Conferences.

Libera’s career flourished after the war. Most of the Rationalists were forced into membership in the Fascist party and consequently excused after the war.

In 1958, Libera’s Hotel dei Congressi opened it’s doors in anticipation of the Olympic visitors. The hotel is still open if you want to have the experience of staying in a Rationalist style building.

Libera also designed a number of houses, the most famous being the 1938 Casa Malaparte on Capri for the Italian writer, Curzio Malaparte.

ال Palazzo degli Uffici dell’Ente Autonomo was the first completed building of EUR. Designed by Gaetano Minnucci, it was finished in 1939. Originally built as an exposition Hall, it’s filled with black and white mosaics and reliefs drawn from the ancient Roman Empire. In one of the ancient reliefs, Mussolini sits on horseback in a mixture of modern kitch and classical.

It incorporates the classical look of lintels and columns but in a very typical Rational/Fascist style.

Close to the entrance is the sculpture of the Genio dello Sport (Genius of Sport), a bronze sculpture of a youth giving a Fascist salute to all who enter the building. The sculpture, created by the Florentine, Italo Griselli, was known as the ‘Saluto Fascista’ (the Fascist Salute) during the Fascist Era. It was renamed the Genio dello Sport after the war.

The building housed offices for EUR and Fascist personnel. It was used by the German troops during the Nazi occupation in 1943 and by the British troops after the liberation of Rome in 1945.

There was even a bomb shelter built under the building to hold 300 people.

ال Museo della Civiltà Romana opened in 1955. It currently holds the fantastic scale model of 4th century Rome known as Il Plastico. Italo Gizmondi started the project in 1935. He finished it in1971 and died 3 years later.

In another wing of the Museo della Civiltà Romana you can view the plaster cast copies of Trajan’s Column. It’s the only place where you can get a close and personal view of the story of Trajan’s defeat of the Dacians in the 2 wars of 101-2 AD and 105-6 AD.

The museum also has reconstructed library that would have existed at Hadrian’s Villa at Tivoli.

The Roman Civilization museum and a Planetarium are connected by a wide Roman style colonnade, a modernist version of an ancient roman aqueduct.

ال Museo della Civiltà Romana has been closed for repairs since January 2014.

A walk through the old fairgrounds will take you by the Palazzo delle Scienze, now the Museo Nazionale Preistorico Etnografico (African, Chinese and American Indian handicrafts). This building was constructed with green marble columns to resemble the cipollino marble from Greece that was used in the columns of the Temple of Antoninus and Faustina in the Roman Forum.

In the center of EUR is the Piazza Guglielmo Marconi, highlighted by a 45m tall obelisk dedicated to Guglielmo Marconi, the inventor of the radio. It was sculpted by the Carrara born sculptor/painter, Arturo Dazzi. Marconi died in Rome in 1937 and never got to see his memorial. It was completed in 1957, in time for the opening of the 1960 Olympics.

There are 92 marble panels along the sides of the monument depicting the important moments of the inventor’s life done in allegorical style.

Dazzi began the project in 1937 but everything in EUR was abandoned in 1943. In 1952, he came back to the project but after too many interruptions, he smashed all the plaster models made for the giant stele and quit the job. It was his respect for the Marconi family that got him to return and finish the project in 1957.

No matter how long you look at them, you’ll never be able to figure out what his life was all about.

PalaLottomatica Arena – current version of Palazzo dello Sport

From the Marconi Obelisk, it is a straight shot to the Palazzo dello Sport, now called the PalaLottomatica, a large multipurpose sport and entertainment complex. Lottomattica, a large lottery company, paid for the remodeling between 1999-2003. The new stadium is called PalaLottomatica. It is the venue for stadium size International and Italian Rock tours.

Palazzo dello sport by Marcello Piacentini and Pier Luigi Nervi – circa 195

Marcello Piacentini, the main architect of Mussolini’s new Rome, never had problems finding work after the war. He was such a good architect, he got a big pass on his relationship with Mussolini. Along with the architectural engineer, Pier Luigi Nervi, Piancentini built the original flying saucer shape sports palace between 1958-1960. It hosted the 1960 Olympic basketball games.

Pier Luigi Nervi also engineered the Annibale Vitellozzi designed flying buttress and saucer shaped Palazzetto dello Sport in 1957, a 3,500 seat stadium used for the 1960 Olympics. It is still standing, a short distance from the very modern MAXXI museum off the Via Flaminia. Palazzetto dello Sport is currently the home of Rome’s Acea Vitrus Roma basketball team.

After the 1960 Olympics, EUR went through a building boom. Corporate offices and quick-built highrise apartment buildings crowded up against the Rationalist architecture of E42. Marcello Piancentini had proposed to use EUR as a business park after the E42 expo but in the 1960s had no design oversight. The design by committee city planning that has plagued Italy since the end of the war created a hodgepodge of brutal 60s and 70s architecture. EUR became a suburb of Rome filled with thousands of people. The Metro B line will let you off at 2 different stops (EUR Palasport and EUR Fermi) where you can easily walk through the EUR complex.

Over the years, EUR has also became one of the most popular areas for Rome’s prostitutes. They are there day and night. There are streets for transvestites, male prostitutes, African women, Asian women, Romanian, Albanian and homegrown Italian hookers. Parks, trees, buildings, any small shelter would provide enough time for a quickie. In Italy, pimping and promoting prostitution is a crime, but the the exchange of sex for money is legal. There are close to 100,000 prostitutes working in Italy. One report I read said their clientele base exceeded 2.4 million.

As of 2015, Rome has stepped up to curb the prostitution in EUR, designating certain areas a Prostitute free zones. They are adding more police surveillance and handing out out fines up to €500 if caught having sex with a sex worker in a prostitute free zone.

EUR is changing. Most of the 1970s building are coming down and new modern steel and glass office building are going up.Hopefully the new plan of EUR will integrate the Rationalist architecture into the modern business park.

استنتاج

As much as the Italians try to ignore the legacy of Mussolini, he will be with them forever. Rome is a city that lives with it’s past but change comes very hard. It take a long time to get anything done.

The closure of the Via dei Fori Imperiali to pedestrian traffic has caused major outcries among the Romans and the new Metro C being built under the road could take 8 years before the station opens.

The MAXXI (Museum of Arts of the XXI century) by Iraqi-British architect, Zaha Hadid took 11 years to complete. It was built in the Flaminia neighborhood, close to the Foro Italico.

The 5,000 square meter Holocaust Museum in Rome has been in the planning stage for over 10 years. The Luca Zevi and Giorgio Tamburini design was destined to be built next to the Villa Torlonia, the former residence of Benito Mussolini. It would be the second largest Holocaust Museum in Europe.

I pointed out some of the main pieces of Mussolini’s architectural legacy in Rome but there are other buildings that didn’t make it into this piece.

At Villa Torlonia, you can visit the World War II bunkers created for Mussolini and his family.

The Enrico Del Debbio Foresteria Sud, a guest quarters built at Foro Mussolini is now used as a Youth Hostel. ال Foresteria Nord by Costantino Constantini, another guest quarters at the Foro is now used as part of the Scuola Nazionale dell’Amministrazione.

Marcello Piancentini along with other architects of the Rational Movement designed and built the new campus of La Sapienza University near the Termini train station. La Sapienza is also known as the University of Rome.

Arnaldo Foschini led a group of Rationalists in the construction of the Church of Saints Peter and Paul in EUR.

Adalberto Libera designed the Post office on Via Mamorata, near the Pyramid of Cestius and the Porta di San Paolo. It’s a short walk from the Roberto Narducci Ostiense train station.

Luigi Moretti designed the Casa della Gioventù on the Via di Porta Portese in Trastevere. It’s across the Ponte Sublicio.

Mussolini’s 1936 Building for the Department of East Africa (Somaliland, Eritrea and Ethiopia), across the street from the Circus Maximus is now the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO).

Obelisk of Axum – 1956, across the street from the Circus Maximus

The Obelisk of Axum, a 24meter tall, 1700 year old granite obelisk stolen from Ethiopia was a war prize sat in front of the building until 2005 when it was repatriated back to Ethiopia.


Roman Houses During the Republic and Empire

Roman houses developed into highly sophisticated buildings. The houses of the rich Patricians were veritable multi-storey wonders on the coast or sprawling villas whilst the poorer classes, the Plebeians or Plebs, as in all times and ages were gradually reduced to live in unhealthy slums. The great fire of Rome during the reign of Emperor Nero is said to have burned down the greater part of these slums in order to make way for his enormous palace called “the Golden House” or Domus Aurea.

The progress of the early Roman empire in terms of peace (pax Romana), wealth and relativley large cities with higher population densities came hand in hand with the progress of technology and civil engineering which allowed such population concentrations to thrive: plentiful food and water supply, streets and pavements allowing ordered transport and mobility, ports to carry merchandise to and from, drains and sewers to keep the city clean.

Clearly such a situation tends to raise the value of each square meter of land, providing an incentive to build higher buildings which can utilise such investment to the full. From the residential point of view and Roman housing this is particularly evident in the development of multi-storey apartment buildings.


Amazon River Flowed Backwards in Ancient Times

South America's winding Amazon River flows in an easterly direction across the continent, dumping water into the Atlantic Ocean. But in eons past, it flowed from east-to-west and, for a time, in both directions at once, a new study finds.

About 100 million years ago, during the middle of the Cretaceous Period when dinosaurs still walked the Earth, the continents of South America and Africa broke apart. The fissure created a raised highland along the east coast of South America, which tilted the Amazon's flow, sending water and sediment rushing toward the center of the continent [image].

Over time, South America developed a vertical crease along its middle, a small mountain range called the Purus Arch. The ridge divided the Amazon's flow [image], sending one side of the river eastward toward the Atlantic Ocean and the other side westward toward the still-growing Andes Mountains.

Toward the end of the Cretaceous, the growing Andes became large enough to send the Amazon's water tumbling back toward the Purus Arch. Eventually, sediments eroded from the Andes filled in the Amazon basin between the mountains and the Arch. Water breached the Arch and flowed unobstructed eastward. By this time, the eastern highland had eroded away, and the river's water could empty freely into the Atlantic [image].

The discovery of the Amazon's reverse flow in ancient times was accidental.

Scientists were studying rocks in the river to determine the speed at which sediment is ferried toward the Atlantic when they stumbled upon ancient minerals grains in the central part of South America. A chemical analysis revealed the grains could only have originated in the now-eroded highlands on the eastern part of the continent.

The new finding helps illustrate the transient nature of Earth's surface, the researchers said.

"Although the Amazon seems permanent and unchanging, it has actually gone through three different stages of drainage since the mid-Cretaceous, a short period of time geologically speaking," said study team member Russell Mapes, a graduate student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Previous studies showed certain segments of the Amazon flowed backward in times past, but the current research, presented today at the annual meeting of the Geological Society of America in Philadelphia, is the first to reveal a continent-wide shift in the river's movements.

Also involved in the research were UNC geologist Drew Coleman and Brazilian scientists Afonso Nogueira and Angela Maria Leguizamon Vega of the Universidade Federal do Amazonas.

The Amazon is the second longest river in the world, after the Nile River in Egypt. About 4,000 miles long, the Amazon is the equivalent of the distance from New York City to Rome.


Temple of Venus and Roma (Venus et Roma)

The Temple of Venus and Rome was one of Rome’s most colossal temples. Constructed by Hadrian, and dedicated in 135 (though possibly not completed until 145 by Antoninus Pius, according to numismatic evidence depicting the temple), it essentially enveloped the Velia hill, a small contiguous mound adjoining the Palatine hill.

The construction covered over the remains of the extensive portico entrance to Nero’s Golden House and necessitated the relocation of Nero’s colossal statue from the top of the Velia hill down to its location next to the Colosseum. Excavations in the 1930s also revealed a series of other structures enveloped by the temple construction: private residences with cryptoporticoes and cisterns, underlying the original residential nature of the Velia.

The structure today is a magnificent ruin, largely a reconstruction under Maxentius after the fire that also severely damaged the Roman Forum in 283, or 307 (Chron. 148 Aur. Vict., Caes. 40.26). In response, Maxentius also rebuilt the vestibule on the Via Sacra that connected to the Forum of Peace and constructed the massive brick-faced basilica, completed by Constantine. Maxentius’ main contribution to Hadrian’s temple was to reconstruct the original wooden roof of the temple, destroyed by the fire, in concrete vaults, and he added back-to-back curved apses for the two cella spaces, lining them with porphyry columns (today, partially reconstructed).
The temple’s dimensions were enormous. 107 meters by 48 meters, with ten columns across the front (decastyle), and twenty-two along the sides. The columns were truly enormous, 60 foot shafts. The roof height was over 30 meters. The actual precinct around the temple measured 145 by 100 meters. It was flanked by smaller side porticoes with granite columns, many which have been re-erected, and in more recent times, shored up with scaffolding to protect them from possible damage from the ongoing work on Metro C along the Via dei Fori Imperiali.

The temple had two, back-to-back cellae to accommodate the two goddesses. The Forum (west) side was dedicated to Roma Aeterna, the personification of the goddess created by the conquered Greek cities in the Republican period, though rarely worshipped officially in Rome until Hadrian. The Colosseum (East) side housed a statue of Venus Felix.

The temple stood largely intact until the seventh century, when emperor Heraclius allowed Pope Honorius I to remove the bronze roof tiles for adorning S. Peter’s basilica. Then, with the destruction of Santa Maria Antiqua in the Forum in 847, San Maria Nova was constructed on the western end of the podium, later joined by a monastery, of S. Francesca Romana. By the 11-12C it was incorporated into local fortifications adjoining the Palatine hill. From the 14C- 16C it was cited as a quarry site, frequently pillaged for marble and travertine.

The site took its current form only in the 1930s, with the construction of the Via dei Fori Imperiali. In more recent years, the podium has become accessible to the public daily, as part of the regular entrance to the Forum-Palatine archaeological park, giving the visitor an exception view of the Colosseum and a fantastic opportunity to explore one of Rome’s largest temples.

VENUS ET ROMA, TEMPLUM (* ναός , Cass. Dio cit.), the double temple on the Velia built by Hadrian (Chron. 146 Hieron. a. Abr. 2147), and dedicated to Venus Felix, the ancestress of the Roman people, and to the genius of the city, Roma aeterna. The association of these two divinities on a coin of C. Egnatius Maximus is noticed by Babelon (i. 472 but cf. BM. Rep. i. p. 399, n. 3). It was also called templum urbis Romae (Serv. Aen. ثانيا. 227 ), templum urbis (Amm. Marcell. xvi. 10 . 14 Hist. Aug. Hadr. 19 Cassiod. Chron.), urbis Venerisque templa (Prud. c. Sym. i. 221 ), and possibly templum Veneris 1 (Hist. Aug. trig. tyr. 32). The plans were drawn by Hadrian himself, and evoked sharp criticism from his Greek architect, Apollodorus, who is said to have been put to death in consequence (Cass. Dio lxix. 4 ). The temple was dedicated in 135 A.D. (Hieron. loc. cit. cf. Athen. ثامنا. 63 ، ص. 361, who erroneously gives the day as the Parilia), but perhaps finished by Antoninus Pius (Cohen, Hadrian 1420-1423, Pius 698-703, 1074-1076).

In accordance with Roman theory in such matters, it was necessary to build a separate cella for each goddess, in this case not side by side, but back to back, that of Venus facing east, and that of Roma west (Prud. loc. cit.: atque Urbis Venerisque pari se culmine tollunt templa). In 307 the temple was injured by fire and restored by Maxentius (Chron. 148 Aur. Vict. Caes. 40: urbis fanum) and the whole of the superstructure dates from his time, as was first pointed out by Nibby (Roma Antica ii. 738 2 cf. AJA 1912, 429 ). It was one of the monuments that aroused the special wonder of Constantius when he visited Rome in 356 (Amm. Marcell. xvi. 10 . 14), and was probably the largest and most magnificent temple in the city. It is mentioned in the Notitia (Reg. IV), and somewhat later by Prudentius (loc. cit.), for the last time in antiquity. The history of its destruction is unknown, but in 847-853 Leo IV built the church of S. Maria Nova in its ruins (HCh 352), and this is one of the chief arguments that it was the earthquake of his reign that wrought so much harm in and around the forum ( LPD ii. 108 ، ج. 20: terre motus in urbe Roma per indictionem factus est x ( i . e . before 30 th August , 847) ita ut omnia elementa concussa viderentur ab omnibus ). This church was rebuilt in 1612 and is now called S. Francesca Romana. (Cf. p. 235).

The temple proper was built on an enormous podium of concrete faced with travertine, 145 metres long and 100 wide, on the north side of the Sacra via, between the Velia and the Colosseum, and on the line of the main axis of the latter, necessitating the removal of the COLOSSUS NERONIS (q.v.). Owing to the slope of the ground, the height of the podium at the east end is considerable, and chambers were constructed in it for the storage of the machinery and apparatus of the amphitheatre. On this podium was a peribolus formed of a colonnade consisting of an outer wall and a single row of enormous columns of grey Egyptian granite on the sides, and probably of a double row of columns only at the ends. This colonnade had projections like propylaea at the corners and at the middle of the long sides. ارى JRS 1919, 184 , for Ligorio’s plan of it (the genuineness of which is doubtful). At the west end of the podium a wide flight of steps led down to the paved area in front of the temple but at the east end there were only two small flights. The temple proper was raised on a platform, seven steps high, in the centre of the peribolus. The two cellar ended in apses placed back to back but a: the side walls of the cellae were prolonged so as to meet, the external appearance was that of one long rectangular building.

This temple was decastyle, of the Corinthian order, and pseudo- dipteral (Cohen, Hadr. 1420-3, 3 Pius 698-703, 1074-6 BC 1903, 19 ), the columns of the peristyle being of white marble about 1.8 metres in diameter. The cellae were narrower than the facade, and each pronaos had only four columns between the antae. The building was constructed of brick-faced concrete, and entirely covered with marble. Within the cellae, on each side, were rows of porphyry columns supporting an entablature. In the apses were five niches, alternately square and semicircular, with columns and entablatures in front of them. In the central niche of each apse was the statue of the goddess herself-Venus, in one and Roma in the other. Within the precincts of the temple were silver statues of Marcus Aurelius and Faustina, and an altar on which sacrifice was made by newly married couples (Cass. Dio lxxi. 31 ), a statue of Minerva (Serv. Aen. ثانيا. 227 ), and doubtless many more (Hist. Aug. trig. tyr. 32).

A single staircase, between the apses on the south side, led to the roof of the temple ( NA 1910, 631-638 RA 131-132, 213-215), which was covered with gilt tiles. A part of the west front of the temple, with its sculptured pediment, is represented on two fragments of a relief, now in the Lateran and Museo delle Terme (MD 3519 Benndorf-Schoene, Lateran 20 S. Sculp. 238-240 Mitt. 1895, 248 PT 227-228 see PANTHEON ), 4 which shows that on this west pediment were reliefs of Mars visiting Rhea Silvia and of the she-wolf suckling the twins. Most of the west cella has been destroyed the apse and part of the east cella still stand in ruins, with many fragments of the columns of peristyle and peribolus (see DAP 2. xv. 368, and LS i. passim ثانيا. 220-222 , for particulars of building materials quarried on its site). This temple with its enormous peribolus falls into the same category of buildings as the imperial fora, of which it formed a virtual continuation (HJ 17-20 Gilb. ثالثا. 136 HC 243-247 WR 293, 340 D’Esp. Mon. ثانيا. 90-95 Fr. ثانيا. 88-90 DR 185-190 RE ملحق. رابعا. 481-484 Mem. L. 5. xvii. 525 ASA 73, 74 HFP 51-52 JRS 1925, 218 , 219).


Did Roman people sleep on mattresses?

String bed in modern India (thanks to Cecil Images)

Many people probably didn’t have mattresses. They slept right on the strings, or on straw mats laid on top of the strings. Cloth – because people had to spin and weave it by hand – was too expensive for most Roman people to use on bedsheets or mattress covers.

History of spinning Spinning rope and nets What about weaving?


Comparison: AncientGreeks & Romans

Art: The Greeks wanted perfection in their depiction of people. The Romans want real life people. The Greeks statues were of perfect people. The Romans statues contained all the flaws of real people.

Expansion: The Greeks colonized. They established some colonies on the coastline around the Mediterranean Sea. The Romans conquered and ruled all over the Mediterranean.

Connection: The Romans built roads that connected their empire to Rome. The Greeks built roads to connect two specific cities.

حكومة: The Romans created an empire that lasted 500 years. The Greek civilization was a collection of city-states, and were not united under one central government until they were conquered by Alexander the Great. Even then, Alexander allowed all the conquered Greek city-states to rule their own state, provided they were loyal to Alexander.

Women: In Ancient Greece women had no rights. They were property. In Rome, when ruled by kings, and then under the Republic, women were not property, but they had no rights. During the Empire, Roman women had quite a few rights, but were still not citizens.

Language: The Greeks spoke Greek. The Romans spoke Latin.

These are just a few of the differences between these two ancient civilizations. Can you think of others? How about inventions or myths?


Study: Archimedes Set Roman Ships Afire with Cannons

Greek inventor Archimedes is said to have used mirrors to burn ships of an attacking Roman fleet. But new research suggests he may have used steam cannons and fiery cannonballs instead.

A legend begun in the Medieval Ages tells of how Archimedes used mirrors to concentrate sunlight as a defensive weapon during the siege of Syracuse, then a Greek colony on the island of Sicily, from 214 to 212 B.C. No contemporary Roman or Greek accounts tell of such a mirror device, however.

Both engineering calculations and historical evidence support use of steam cannons as "much more reasonable than the use of burning mirrors," said Cesare Rossi, a mechanical engineer at the University of Naples "Federico II," in Naples, Italy, who along with colleagues analyzed evidence of both potential weapons.

The steam cannons could have fired hollow balls made of clay and filled with something similar to an incendiary chemical mixture known as Greek fire in order to set Roman ships ablaze. A heated cannon barrel would have converted barely more than a tenth of a cup of water (30 grams) into enough steam to hurl the projectiles.

Channeling steam power

Italian inventor Leonardo da Vinci sketched a steam cannon in the late 15th century, which he credited to Archimedes, and several other historical accounts mention the device in connection with Archimedes.

Indirect evidence for the steam cannon also comes from the Greek-Roman historian Plutarch, who tells of a pole-shaped device that forced besieging Roman soldiers to flee at one point from the walls of Syracuse.

The Greek-Roman physician and philosopher Galen similarly mentioned a burning device used against the Roman ships, but used words that Rossi said cannot translate into "burning mirror."

Rossi calculated that such cannons could have fired a cannonball weighing roughly 13 pounds (6 kilograms) at speeds of roughly 134 miles per hour (60 meters per second). That allowed the cannons to possibly target troops or ships at distances of approximately 492 feet (150 m) while firing at a fairly flat trajectory to make aiming easier.

"As far as I know, it is the first paper about that use of a steam cannon by Archimedes," Rossi told LiveScience.

Past investigations by Greek engineer Joannis Stakas and Evanghelos Stamatis, a historian, showed that a parabolic mirror can set small, stationary wooden ships on fire. MIT researchers carried out a similar demonstration more than three decades later in 2005.

But whether mirrors could have maintained a constantly changing curvature to keep the right burning focus on moving ships seems doubtful, Rossi noted. He added that ancient sailors could have easily put out any fires that started from a slow-burning mirror.

By contrast, Greek fire emerged in many historical accounts as a deadly threat for ancient warships. The unknown chemical mixture reportedly burned underwater, and saw most use by the Byzantine Empire that dominated the Eastern Mediterranean starting in A.D. 330. Other records mention earlier versions of the burning mixture.

Recreating the past

The steam cannons only represent the latest historical investigation by Rossi. He previously coauthored the book "Ancient Engineers&rsquo Inventions: Precursors of the Present" (Springer, 2009), along with military historians Flavio Russo and Ferruccio Russo.

The trio plan to meet up with other historians in the future and possibly reconstruct versions of the ancient weapons. Flavio previously built several working reconstructions of ancient Roman artillery weapons, and Ferruccio specializes in 3-D virtual reconstructions of mechanical devices.

Some of Rossi's other work looked at ancient motors that may have moved siege towers used by the Greeks and Romans. The likeliest motors may have relied on counterweights, and emerged in records as the invention of Heron of Alexandria in the first century.

Such devices could have been placed inside the protection of the towers themselves, Rossi noted. He pointed to an account by the Roman general Julius Caesar, who told of using such towers against a town defended by Gallic tribes in modern-day France. The sight of towers appearing to move by themselves frightened the defenders into negotiating for surrender.

A research paper on the siege towers was presented alongside Rossi's recent work entitled "Archimedes' Cannons against the Roman Fleet?" at the International World Conference held in Syracuse, Italy from June 8-10. The conference proceedings appear in a book titled "The Genius of Archimedes -- 23 Centuries of Influence on Mathematics, Science and Engineering" (Springer, 2010).

In the end, the engineering talents of Archimedes did not save him from death when the Romans finally stormed Syracuse. But at least a love of history among Rossi and his colleagues may lead to the resurrection of some of his ancient devices.


شاهد الفيديو: عصر الرومان - #الصفالخامسالابتدائى (ديسمبر 2021).